How to use Gmail
All our staff are provided with a National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) Google account.
This is your key to the NCAS community. You’ll have access to an NCAS Gmail address, Google Drive with unlimited storage, shared Google Calendars, Google Documents, Google Hangouts and Google Sites.
Please use your Google identity as the main way to send emails, share files, and manage your calendar. Collaboration is much easier when everyone is on the same page.
Your NCAS Gmail address will be email@example.com. Your Gmail helps raise our profile. It shows you’re representing our organisation.
Plus, most of your NCAS colleagues will be based at different institutions to you. Using your ncas.ac.uk address keeps things simple for everyone.
Whether you’re a new starter, or just need a refresher, we’ve collated all the tips you’ll need to make Google work for you.
If you have any trouble using the guides below, simply drop a message to our IT team.
Configuring Outlook to Gmail
You might be thinking ‘but I prefer to use Outlook!’ Don’t panic. You still can.
Outlook can send and receive emails from your Google account. Simply follow these steps.
- In your Google account security settings, select the option to ‘turn on access for less secure apps.’
- Open Outlook and select File and then Account Settings.
- On the next page, E-mail Account should be selected automatically, select Next.
- On this next page select ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types’ then select Next.
- If “Internet E-mail” is selected, click Next.
- Configure your email settings
- For Your Name: Use the name you wish people to see when they receive an email from you.
- For E-mail Address enter your new NCAS email address this will be in the form firstname.lastname@example.org (this should all be entered in lowercase)
- For Account Type select IMAP
- Set Incoming Mail Server to imap.gmail.com
- Set Outgoing Mail Server to smtp.gmail.com
- For User Name enter email@example.com (lowercase)
- For Password use your new NCAS Google password
- Then check the ‘Remember Password’ box.
- Now select ‘More Settings’ and select the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Set the Incoming Server (IMAP) to 993
- Set the Outgoing Server (SMTP) to 465
- On the Outgoing Server tab
- Check ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Select ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server’
- Select ‘Ok’.
- You’re now ready to test your new settings. Select ‘Test Account Settings’.
- If everything is correct, you will be able to select ‘Next’ and see a success message showing two completed tasks.
- Select ‘Close.’
That’s it. You’ve successfully set up Outlook to use your NCAS google mail.
When you compose a new message, select the drop-down arrow next to the ‘From’ field. You will be able to choose between your two email accounts.
If you’re getting unwanted data attachments to your emails, try following these steps
- Open Outlook
- Select File, Options, and then click on Mail.
- Select ‘Compose in this message‘ format list, and make sure Plain Text or HTML is selected
- Select ‘OK’.
Configuring Thunderbird to use Gmail
If you’d like to use Mozilla Thunderbird to send and receive emails from your Gmail account, follow these simple steps.
- Open ‘Thunderbird and select ‘Tools’ then ‘Account Settings.’ In some versions of Thunderbird, this is ‘Edit’ then ‘Account Settings.’
- Fill in the Account Setup details.
- Enter your name
- Enter your Google email address (usually of the form firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enter the password you set up for your NCAS Google account
- Click ‘Continue’
- Thunderbird will automatically detect the settings required, and fill in the required technical fields.
- Click ‘Done’
That’s it. Your NCAS email address is now linked to Thunderbird.
Forwarding your Gmail
You can forward emails from your NCAS Google account to your institutional email account.
Our IT team used to be able to set this up on your behalf, but unfortunately, Google have changed the way that email forwarding works, and that’s no longer possible.
Now, you’ll need to follow these steps to set up email forwarding on your own account.
- Log in to Gmail
- Select ‘Settings’ in the top right corner. It’s a small cog icon.
- Select the ‘Settings’ option in the drop-down menu.
- Go to the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ tab.
- Select ‘Add A Forwarding Address’ button
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Ask a colleague to send a test email to your NCAS email address. This means you can check that it works!