The National Centre for Atmospheric Science is hosting a Sustainable Airborne Research and Atmospheric Science Symposium on Tuesday 12 September 2023, at the Digital Aviation Research and Technology Centre, Cranfield University. Complete the expression of interest to attend form by Thursday 24 August 2023.
The symposium will:
- bring together the UK airborne research, aviation, and environmental science communities.
- provide an opportunity to discuss the ways in which airborne research and innovation can play a responsible role in addressing environmental issues such as climate change, hazardous weather and air pollution.
- cover topics such as sustainable aviation fuel, zero emission ground infrastructure, technology miniaturisation and mass reduction of systems and instrumentation, coordinated science campaigns, and relevant Jet Zero ambitions – and more to be confirmed.
- encourage attendees to think and act as responsible research innovators, and contribute to conversations about recognising and minimising the environmental impacts of our airborne scientific activities.
- highlight how the FAAM Airborne Laboratory, managed by the National Centre for Atmospheric Science, and its Mid-Life Upgrade programme sets out to maintain and improve the performance of the facility, while minimising emissions and resource use from aircraft operation.
The Sustainable Airborne Research and Atmospheric Science Symposium is an in-person event – offering a combination of plenary speakers, short talks, networking and discussion sessions, and aircraft facility tours.
Tuesday 12 September, Digital Aviation Research and Technology Centre, Cranfield University.
10:30 – 11:00 | Registration – Refreshments in the networking lounge
11:00 – 11:10 | Welcome
11:10 – 11:45 | Sustainable airborne science for society
A series of short talks about the importance of airborne research, net zero targets and carbon footprints, and future-proofing frontier science facilities.
11:45 – 12:00 | Panel Q & A
12:00 – 12:45 | Lunch – Refreshments in the networking lounge
12:45 – 13:30 | Discussion Session
Sustainable fuel and energy, modernising aircraft science systems, upgraded technologies, enhancing operational capabilities
12:45 – 13:30 | Tour – FAAM Airborne Laboratory Research Aircraft
13:30 – 14:00 | Break – Refreshments and session changeover
14:00 – 14:45 | Discussion Session
Optimising airborne observations, scientific impact achieved in sustainable ways, future-proofing world-class research
14:00 – 14:45 | Tour – FAAM Airborne Laboratory Research Aircraft
14:45 – 15:00 | Wrap-up
Express your interest to attend
If you would like to join us on Tuesday 12 September 2023 please complete the expression of interest form by Thursday 24 August 2023. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
The National Centre for Atmospheric Science is committed to minimising the impact of this event on the environment, and we will work with attendees and suppliers to reduce the event’s carbon footprint via group transport and plant-based catering options.